Trying to install rawhide: madness and where do we hope to go ?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Sep 7 15:01:57 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 09:46 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 09:34:30AM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > anaconda is going through what I would call major surgery.  Its not so
> > much about trying to fix it daily... its more about making sure it
> > works by test1 release.  If memory serves the anaconda development
> > that is going on was one of the reasons why the fc5 schedule is what
> > it is...to make room in part to get anaconda retooled. I don't
> > remember there being a promise to anyone to make day-to-day rawhide
> > installability a high priority. There is a target that the anaconda
> > devs are shooting for, fc5test1.  Are you suggesting they maintain a
> > dead-end branch of anaconda in rawhide while working on the new
> > version somewhere else?
>
>   That would make sense to me. Like we don't push intermediate broken
> CVS state for all the other packages. I'm not sure it would need to
> be "maintained" in much of the usual sense. Just keep a working one
> around.

Except that a number of changes have been required to anaconda for
things in rawhide.  So not changing anaconda isn't really an option.  We
do try to avoid pushing when we know that things are completely hosed
(hence why a build didn't happen yesterday, for example) but we can't
anticipate everything.

Jeremy