FC4 state of affairs and FC5

Tyler Larson fedora-devel at tlarson.com
Wed Sep 7 18:26:22 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> its quite easy to rebuild the metadata   "createrepo" package will
> generate the repodata directory.  So make your directory of rpms and
> then run createrepo against it... then add the config file...create
> the iso.

Wow. That IS easy. Great.

> Additionally before making the iso you can use repoclosure  from the
> yum-utils package in Extras to check for package deps self-consistency
> in your tree.

Is an updates repo considered self-consistent despite the fact that it depends
on the base repo?

> The biggest problem right now is correct automagical detection of cds.
> For anyone who has a cd that isnt using /media/cdrom  they will have
> to edit the config file you provide. No big deal .. just annoying.
> Sounds like from other posts the "right" people are figuring out how
> to do this more robustly.

Actually, I was thinking that, given the nature of such a CD, a better option
might be to include a script on the CD that generates the correct config file
and passes it to yum, perhaps pulling any additional settings from
/etc/yum.conf (or perhaps not...). In such a case, it could autodetect the
repo location, then prompt the user for confirmation.