Comments on X.Org X11 modularization project - rpm package driver naming

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon Sep 12 21:44:28 UTC 2005

Sorry for missing the August 29th deadline...  Hopefully better
late than never.

While I agree that moving to separate packing of the X drivers
is a good thing, I'm wondering if we don't need to release the
X server (as Xorg or Xfree86 or whatever) as a separate entity
as well, as in the case where additional functionality has been
added to support new driver features, or the server API has
changed internally.

Just an observation.

Would the X server proper, the Mesa and DRM/DRI drivers,
etc. continue to be released as part of the "xorg-x11" (tout
court) package?  Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

-Philip