Comments on X.Org X11 modularization project - rpm package driver naming

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 21:54:21 UTC 2005

On 9/12/05, Philip Prindeville <philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com> wrote:

> Sorry for missing the August 29th deadline... Hopefully better
> late than never.
>
> While I agree that moving to separate packing of the X drivers
> is a good thing, I'm wondering if we don't need to release the
> X server (as Xorg or Xfree86 or whatever) as a separate entity
> as well, as in the case where additional functionality has been
> added to support new driver features, or the server API has
> changed internally.
>
> Just an observation.
>
> Would the X server proper, the Mesa and DRM/DRI drivers,
> etc. continue to be released as part of the "xorg-x11" (tout
> court) package? Or am I missing something?

Everything is being split out into separate packages to make it easier to
release updates to individual packages and to allow each package to devel at
its own pace. This includes not only drivers but things such as mesa and
other packages, libraries etc. More info can be found at the
x.org<http://x.org>wiki covering the modularization here
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularizationProposal

Pete