GNOME 2.14 for FC5?

David Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Thu Sep 15 20:19:54 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 20:23 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> Recently a preliminary schedule for GNOME 2.14 was released[1], which
> puts 2.14 for final release about 2 weeks after the FC5 release is
> scheduled[2], the GNOME development freeze as can be read from the
> schedule is in January, which is the roughly same time as FC3t3's devel
> freeze.
>
> Would there be any sense in pushing FC5 back 2-3 weeks to accomidate
> GNOME 2.14 rather than sticking with 2.12, which also would mean that we
> would be stuck with this recently released version 2.12 of GNOME for the
> FC5 cycle, of which ~5 months remain, FC6 would then probably ship with
> 2.16 if the 9 month cycle is repeated. Given that 2.14 already looks to
> be a major release in terms of planned features my expectation would be
> that users would migrate to another distro that would supply the 2.14
> feature set should Fedora fail to provide it.

This could easily be a slippery slope.  If you push back a two-three
weeks for Gnome, then you might find that the shiny new Firefox release
is due out in two more days, so you might as well hang on for that, and
then the next OO release might finally happen, and then there's a new
kernel release...   And then shoot, if we can just hang on another four
weeks, we have another shiny new Gnome release!  If 2.14 is far enough
along, they might be able to ship with -pre or -rc type releases and
just put out updates for final, but we may just be stuck with 2.12.
That's not such a bad thing.

--
David Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com>