Extras bugzilla?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 15:15:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 20:13 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> However, if this is to happen then if someone needs to file a bug, they
> will need a single place that lists all of the packages across fedora
> (including core, gnome, x, etc).  The bug poster shouldn't need to know
> what group package x comes from to file a bug, but rather should just
> find package x in the list and it would be placed in the appropriate
> bugzilla area.

Having a user figure out the component to the package level is difficult
enough.  I think that really the right approach here is basically bug
buddy-like, but with a little bit better integration and knowledge of
how things work.

eg, if you get a crash, then that should be able to automatically be
able to be mapped back to the package that it comes from (and
preferably, prompt for getting -debuginfo to get better backtraces).

For things which aren't crashes, you probably want to have people pick
the application (via a layout that mirrors the menus) and then map that
back.

This is one of those things that would help make great improvements in
the quality and correctness of bug reports and can easily be done by
someone in the community.  Oh, and in my magic perfect world, there
would also be the nice native front-end to filing things that used
xml-rpc and did searches for things that might be duplicates before
allowing you to file it :-)

Jeremy