start_udev and network

redhat at olen.net redhat at olen.net
Tue Sep 20 07:48:31 UTC 2005

Can't find anything i bugzilla, but in case this is well known, I'll
post here first.

I am usually following devel/rawhide quite tight, but for a week or two
I have not upgraded nor reboted, so I am not sure exactly when this
happened.

But now it seems like udev might need network access if nsswitch is set
up with authentication from ldap:

passwd:     files ldap
shadow:     files ldap
group:      files ldap

This leads to the following errors:

Sep 19 15:48:36 ws21 udevstart[2042]: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP
server (sleeping 4 seconds)...
Sep 19 15:48:40 ws21 udevstart[2042]: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP
server (sleeping 8 seconds)...

And there it hangs until i ^C "udev_start".
(Ofcourse start_udev can't access the network so early in the boot
process).

A more or less working workaround seems to be to boot into single user
mode, ifup eth0, run udev_start manually and then go to init 5

kernel-2.6.13-1.1558_FC5
udev-069-3
nss_ldap-241-1

I'll bugzilla this later today if nobody else has already done so.

Rgds.

Ola Thoresen