giflib for fc5

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Sep 20 22:27:29 UTC 2005

Toshio Kuratomi <toshio at tiki-lounge.com>:
> I've just been merging bugfixes and trying to clean up the code.  The
> code is very old, only slightly less crufty than when I first looked at
> it, and was first written with DOS in mind (I'm fixing a problem right
> now in which int's were considered 16 bit so a long was used instead to
> guarantee a 32 bit value... which breaks with 64bit longs.)

Historical background: when I, the maintainer before Toshio, first
looked at this code, it was 1987.  The library had in fact been
written for DOS on 16-bit machines, and was coded in pre-ANSI C of an
...er...idiosyncratic style.  I ported it to System V Unix; this was
five years before Linux was on the radar.

Trust me, if you think it looks crufty now, you *don't* want to know
what it looked like when I first saw it...