Kudzu conflicts with Kernel

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Sep 22 20:35:29 UTC 2005

> Michael H. Warfield wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 15:28 -0300, Clovis Tristao wrote:
> >

> >>Ola,
> >>
> >>Thanks all.
> >>
> >>Clóvis

> >	Ouch...  Doesn't that create a catch-22?  I'm running on a 2.6.12 (FC4)
> >kernel and I want to install the 2.6.13-1.1567_FC5 kernel.  I can't
> >install the kernel because of the dependency on kudzu and I can't
> >install that kudzu without removing all the kernels prior to 2.6.13 but
> >that means removing the kernel I'm running on.  Do I understand that
> >correctly?  Assuming that it's even possible, doesn't it seem a little
> >risky to be blowing the wheels off from under your own feet in this
> >process?
> >
> Possible workaround -> Exclude kudzu from the update. Get kernel.
> Reboot. Remove older kernels. Get kudzu.

	I think there is still a conflict between the new kernel and the old
kudzu.  I don't think you can just excluded it.  I may be wrong...
IAC...  I worked around it by removing kudzu and the dozen or so things
that depended on it (didn't look like anything that would be
operationally fatal), then installed the new kernel and kernel-devel,
then rebooted, removed the older kernels, and finally reinstalled the
list of items I removed when I erased kudzu.

	Stand on your head and pat your belly.  This is going to be such fun if
and when it hits released updates for FC4.  :-/

> regards
> Rahul

	Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/