rawhide report: 20050923 changes

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Sep 23 17:43:32 UTC 2005

> On 9/23/05, Brian Millett <bmillett at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 07:40 -0400, Build System wrote:
> >
> > > New package gnome-screensaver
> > >       GNOME Sreensaver
> >
> > Cool, but is there a way to configure this other than editing
> > the /usr/share/gnome-screensaver/themes/*.xml files by hand?  I do not
> > have xscreensaver* packages installed.
>
> grrrr.... we had this discussion in fedora-maintainers list..exactly
> about this package.
>
> If gnome-screensaver  provides "xscreensaver" then the
> "xscreensaver-base" package is removed from the system on
> install/updates of gnome-screensaver.  I have to ask... is
> xscreensaver-base package going to be removed from rawhide?
>
> If these two packages are suppose to co-exist on system.. the
> packaging of xscreensaver-base and gnome-screensaver AND
> control-center needs to be re-thought. Because as these packages are
> provided right now... you can't easily have both xscreensaver-base and
> gnome-screensaver at the same time. The obsoletes of "xscreensaver" in
> xscreensaver-base complicates the situation.

Our plan is to move xscreensaver to extras, but allow gnome-screensaver
and xscreensaver to coexist. We also want to allow to install
gnome-screensaver + xscreensaver-extras, without xscreensaver-base.

Ray and I figured that we should do the following:

- Remove the xscreensaver-base dependency from xscreensaver-extras (to
  allow xscreensaver-extras to be installed without -base)
- Remove the xscreensaver provides from gnome-screensaver (to allow
  gnome-screensaver and xscreensaver to coexist)

The second point means that people who upgrade will keep the installed
xscreensaver around, but we think that is not too bad. We just need to
figure out how to show only one "Screensaver" preferences menu item.

Comments ?

Matthias