rawhide report: 20050923 changes

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 17:55:55 UTC 2005

On 9/23/05, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> Our plan is to move xscreensaver to extras, but allow gnome-screensaver
> and xscreensaver to coexist. We also want to allow to install
> gnome-screensaver + xscreensaver-extras, without xscreensaver-base.
>
> Ray and I figured that we should do the following:
>
> - Remove the xscreensaver-base dependency from xscreensaver-extras (to
>   allow xscreensaver-extras to be installed without -base)
> - Remove the xscreensaver provides from gnome-screensaver (to allow
>   gnome-screensaver and xscreensaver to coexist)
>
> The second point means that people who upgrade will keep the installed
> xscreensaver around, but we think that is not too bad. We just need to
> figure out how to show only one "Screensaver" preferences menu item.

Forgetting about the extra complication of having two prefence menu
entries for now.. and just concentrating on the more low level
packaging issues....

control-center is going to have to drop the requirement on xscreensaver...
or  xscreensaver-base is going to have to drop the obsoletes on xscreensaver...
or both.

That obsoletes in xscreensaver-base is a problem as long as anything
is trying to provide/require xscreensaver.

-jef