Request for volunteers: Find packages that rely on imake

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sat Sep 24 22:42:47 UTC 2005

Peter Arremann wrote:
> On Saturday 24 September 2005 17:54, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
>>Now that X.Org X11R7 has been autotooled and no longer uses imake
>>as a build system, imake is more or less deprecated by X.Org.  This
>>means it is about to become a second class citizen overall, and
>>eventually is likely to just die.
>

> Imake the program or imake the package?

Both.  "imake" the program did not used to have a package before, so
the two are one and the same.  The difference is that in the modular
tree, imake the program is now in it's own package standalone, like
everything else in the modular tree.

> I haven't seen any new software using imake in a long time but several
 > programs using makedepend comes to my mind.

I believe this is true, that people are no longer using imake for
new software projects.  However that isn't a problem to solve as
it solves itself already.

The problem that I'm trying to solve right now, is that existing
software out there does indeed use imake during build, and will
break if it goes away.  That's the stuff we want to find.  I suspect
that there are probably a fair number of oldish Motif/Xt/Xaw
applications out there currently that use imake to build with, and
will fail soon.

> If you search you'll find a lot more hits on google for makedepend than for
> imake :-)

That may be so, but that is an orthagonal issue which is not even
a problem, considering that makedepend is already provided in the
X modular tree and is fully useable.

Just to be clear - this request is strictly about imake and nothing
else.

Thanks in advance.