dbus-qt bindings being dropped from Rawhide

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Wed Sep 28 00:02:14 UTC 2005

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

> A little while ago I was urged by some to include the dbus-qt bindings
> in core so that Konqueror could take advantage of HAL.  It seems that
> the Qt3 bindings are being dropped upstream in favor of the Qt4
> bindings.  The thread for this is here:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2005-September/003403.html

Uh-oh...

> I am therefor dropping the package as there is no maintainer upstream
> for it.  It has been suggested that Konqueror only uses a small subset
> of the bindings and that those portions could be ported to and
> maintained in hal-ioslave.  If you feel this is important to you I would
> file bugs upstream with the ioslave developers and point them to the
> above mentioned thread.

I'm very surprised the KDE developers don't care that there won't be
support for hot-mounting volumes from now on until the 4.0 development
cycle ends (and it will likely be over one year).

I couldn't find those qt3 bindings mentioned in the thread anywhere
in KDE's SVN repository.  If there's no replacement, I guess dropping
the dbus-qt package would be the only option at this time :-(

> I will pull the subpackage next Friday so anyone with packages that
> depends on it (which should be few to none since I had just enabled it)
> have a weeks reprieve.

kdebase tests for the dbus-qt bindings at configure time.  If it's not
already using it, the spec file may be missing a BuildRequires.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/