Move Evolution to Extras?

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Tue Apr 4 16:26:29 UTC 2006

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:44:37 +0100, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:

> Evolution is fairly much broken in FC5, and there's little movement even
> on the 'this mail crashes Evolution' bugs, let alone the "Evolution is
> totally unusable with IMAP" bugs.
>
> What are we going to do about it? One option might be to move it to
> Extras in the hope that someone will actually start to look after it
> there. Or perhaps just drop it entirely? Any better ideas? Volunteers?

Remember why we went with Evolution in the first place. It was Havoc's
idea about the Open Source Architecture, and selecting one application
instead of a gazillion of different ones. Implicit in this choice was
the promise to fix it. Maybe explicit even, I do not remember.

Now the upstream stewardhip, maintainership, or whatever seems to be
collapsing and those frustrated with Evo try to jump ship, but to where?
It sure as hell ain't Sylpheed.

Maybe primates just need a good fork in the liver and Evo gets
viable again. I hope at least.

Anyway, talk to Havoc first, ask him if he planned for this eventuality.

Funnily, in the same time period, we very nearly selected some obscure
web browser instead of Firefox. It may be instructive to compare the
cases with the Evo.

-- Pete