Co-opt or illegally annex?

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Apr 12 18:53:43 UTC 2006

Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Olivier Galibert <galibert at pobox.com>:

>> When was it decided that computer farms, servers and remote
>> administration was unimportant, and only the desktop user was
>> interesting?  Is it official, or just de facto?
>
> Heh. If most fedora-devel list members actually thought "only the
> desktop user was interesting", the thread about co-opting proprietary
> codecs would have gone rather differently.

Um.. what does "co-opting proprietary codecs" mean?  You either agree
not to redistribute and pay up (like this:

http://www.linspire.com/lindows_products_details.php?product_id=11804

) or you use unlicensed contraband.  Maybe you should look at Linspire
instead - seriously - so you can use their existing paid-for proprietary
codecs to make the distro you think you want without geting legal
trouble.  Fedora is by definition not up for that game.

> I conclude that most of this list doesn't think *any* class of users is
> interesting.

I think there is still a pretty strong membrane between folks inside
RHAT and outside, I suppose this has to be to some extent.  It would
have been nice to get a chance to argue the busybox case for RHAT's OLPC
work which is happening off the public radar AFAICT.

> That's not an attitude that bodes well for the future.

This general FUD ignores that whatever RHAT's attitude it has certainly
done fine and generous work in the past with no sign of it reducing in
strength.

-Andy