Google Summer of Code 2006: iptables GUI

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Apr 20 14:15:20 UTC 2006

On Thursday, April 20, 2006 9:14 AM -0400 James_Martin at ao.uscourts.gov
wrote:

> Let's not re-invent the wheel (again)!
>
> Firewall builder does this already.

I tried fwbuilder for awhile and its level of abstraction made it difficult
to see what was going on at the iptables layer. From the fwbuilder FAQ:

> 3.1. Is there any way to import iptables (or ipfilter, pf, ipfw or PIX)
> rules to Firewall Builder?
>
> No, currently there is no way to import existing firewall configuration
> into Firewall Builder

Does fwbuilder even know how to use any of the more interesting and exotic
iptables modules? Or does it only handle stuff that it can also use for the
other OS's that it supports?

BTW, as long as I'm in brainstorm mode, a GUI front end for the traffic
shaper system (http://lartc.org/) would also be nice. Or at least
initscripts to manage it.