'Commercial Partners'

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sun Apr 2 19:04:19 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 13:06 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le dimanche 02 avril 2006 à 05:18 -0500, Callum Lerwick a écrit :
> > The real solution is not to encumber Linux with closed source software,
> > it is to encumber Windows with open source software.
>
> +1

Great inroads have been made popularizing Firefox on Windows. GAIM is an
easy sell, no ads. Casual users tend to prefer OpenOffice to pirating or
actually spending money on MS Office. WinAmp has supported ogg for some
time. I'm told there's ogg-vorbis codecs for DirectShow that actually
work well. Apache and bind are widely used on Windows servers.

I kind of ment to put OSX in there too. Though its already
half-"encumbered" with open source. I've found the state of ogg support
on OSX is sad. There's a quicktime codec around, allowing you to play
ogg in iTunes, but it was slow and buggy as hell when I tried it.
There's VLC but its not really oriented for music playing. I ended up
just installing X11 and xmms from fink to play music on my iMac.

Outside the scope of Fedora, though.