Why Elektra is the wrong approach (Was Re: The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 3 05:42:11 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 01:27 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:

>   - Session-wide software: Just so we're all on the same page,
> "session-wide" means something that runs in a user desktop session.
> Historically, the desktop wasn't very advanced and didn't integrate
> well with the system. Back then things that really was session-wide
> would run as a system-wide daemon mostly also because it required
> root to enforce policy. Things like acpid for power management event
> handling, updfstab for removable media, ifplugd for handling network
> cable removable, networking scripts etc. comes to mind. As you can
> see with Fedora Core 5 this is radically starting to change; acpid is
> obsoleted by gnome-power-manager, updfstab (and fstab-sync for that
> matter) is obsoleted by gnome-volume-manager / gnome-mount, the
> networking scripts is starting to be completely obsoleted by
> NetworkManager. We have more things on out "hit list"...

Are these grand plans written down somewhere? Any pointers? It would be
good to let the rest of us know what is happening in advance. For
example. fstab-sync being replaced gnome-mount might have been good in
the longer term but the policy was changed to not show fixed disks by
default (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/PackageNotes). We
didn't know about this and we only included this information after the
ISO freeze for the release notes. Now that information has been to be
pushed out as an errata and meanwhile it has been a FAQ and confused
many end users. It would have been good to send the docs team a short
note with rationale. Writing down publicly the development plans is just
The Right Thing To Do(TM).

Rahul