Move Evolution to Extras?

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Tue Apr 4 13:15:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 08:53:19 -0400, Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> escreveu:
> On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 13:44 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > Evolution is fairly much broken in FC5
>
> I'm curious why you are saying that. It's true, printing doesn't
> work for me [1] (which is a rather important function I might add),
> but other than that it's been OK here, both POP and IMAP.

Quoting David's blog:

>Bug #336076 (RH #183219): Evolution no longer uses STATUS to check for new mail -- instead it SELECTs every single folder in the system, downloads all headers and flags for every mail.

Add then bug #336074 (RH #167805) to the previous one and you get a pretty bad situation where you check all your old folders even when you dont want them and you do it using the slowest method possible (the above bug).

Those two can be a bit problematic if you have an IMAP server that is outside of your network and your link is a bit overloaded or you have a lot of e-mail stored on the server.

However, moving evolution to extras may not be a good idea IMHO, since evolution is the only tool (that I know of) that supports Exchange servers. That is certainly an important feature for many people in corporate environments (or people who use FC at home and need evolution to use the work e-mail).
I'm not a big fan of evolution (specially because of the way it eats away the memory), but in my case, I have to use it because of that evil exchange server...

--
Pedro Macedo