Why Elektra is the wrong approach (Was Re: The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management)

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Tue Apr 4 18:43:40 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 14:36 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:

> At least I learned something today: Never ever propose anything that
> might be a bit visionary on fedora-devel-list; you will just get shot
> down by the vocal minority and you will get flamed you for the
> improvements for the silent majority you helped create.

Well, yah, As is their right.

Half of working on open source software is being able to judge b/t what
makes sense to you and what makes sense to any random person. Often
times what makes sense to you is correct. Sometimes it is not. I'm not
arguing on either side of this whole elektra thing. I'm sure it will
shake itself out one way or the t'other.

People will flame, it happens. I think we've all probably be irritated
with some design decision at some point and a lot of us have had someone
irritated with us b/c of a design decision we made.

It shouldn't stop you from trying or from posting - it should just
prepare you for the obvious.

-sv