Red Hat's "Cowardice" against Software Patents

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Wed Apr 5 17:32:01 UTC 2006

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> number.  I think he's making an unrealistic demand -- but it is a fact
> that SUSe carries encoders.  If SUSe can do it, why not Red Hat or
> Fedora?

Because SuSe is a German company, and Germany does not recognise software
patents? And RedHat is an US based company, and the US is fucked up?

What this discussion has done for me in the past two weeks is wondering
if I should either just unsubscribe, or not read this list anymore. It
is certainly not leading to anywhere.

I just Eric discusses this with RedHat lawyers privately. And perhaps he
can post a summary to the list in two weeks?

Paul