Red Hat's "Cowardice" against Software Patents

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Apr 5 21:21:41 UTC 2006

Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Second, it isn't my job to negotiate agreements with Fraunhofer.  That
> job belongs to an organization like Red Hat that has lawyers and money
> and can make a business judgement about cost versus expected gain in
> market share.
>
> Third, negotiating an agreement with Fraunhofer would not consutute martyrdom.

"Fedora distributes only 100% Free and Open Source Software.  FOSS
requires software to be freely modifiable and freely redistributable.
Paying a royalty for Fedora to distribute something like MPEG for DVD
capability would make it not Free, because that removes the ability for
others to redistribute the software."

You again conveniently neglected to respond to this part.  Making a deal
or paying royalties is simply not an option for the Fedora Project
because it violates the central tenets of FOSS, and conflicts with the GPL.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com