Today's rawhide xorg/radeon

Andy Burns fedora at adslpipe.co.uk
Wed Apr 5 21:42:49 UTC 2006

Since the release of FC5 I've only been keeping up with updates +
updates-testing, until I noticed that rawhide today had xorg/ati updates
So duly installed and restarted X
	xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.5.7.3-4.cvs20060404
	xorg-x11-server-1.0.99.2-1

With rawhide during the FC5T1/T2/T3 period (before the removal of r300
acceleration from FC5) I never had *any* 3D joy with the opensource
drivers on my X550, they didn't even give me fallback mesa software GL

Am I right in assuming that these drivers contain the recent r300
patches that Dave refers to? http://airlied.livejournal.com/24874.html

I do get some progress, for the first time on this box opensource
drivers don't produce errors with glxinfo/glxgears

I get display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.5)

The GL xscreensavers run, but the (lack of) speed and high CPU usage
lead me to think that I'm not getting h/w 3D, but at least I am now
getting s/w fallback :-)

I am loading DRI/DRM modules in xorg.conf

in /var/log/Xorg.0.log I see drm errors for cards 0 to 254 (which I
think I've always seen)

drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card254
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed

followed by

(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed to open the DRM
which I think is new to this update

I also see
(EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
(II) Loading local sub module "GLcore"
(II) LoadModule: "GLcore"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so
(II) Module GLcore: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
         ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.2
(II) GLX: Initialized MESA-PROXY GL provider for screen 0

It seems harsh to log this progress as a bugzilla entry, so just asking
here first, should I "expect" any more than this at this stage of
development?