FC5 Sound with snd-hda-intel not working. (alsa problem?)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Apr 12 14:31:07 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 12:04:43PM -0600, Stephen J. Smoogen wrote:
> This is more of a place-holder for people who might run into this
> problem with FC5 and not getting sound working with Intel ICH7
> chipsets. I have a Dell 380 with a
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
> Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
>
> sound card. It worked fine with Fedora Core 4 but after upgrading to
> Fedora Core 5 did not have sound anymore. The problem seems to be
> either with the kernel drivers or the alsa drivers. So far I have
> updated to the ones that the Fedora alsa maintainer keeps on his
> homepage but they did not fix the problem. It is an open bug with
> bugzilla in several cases... not sure of what the problem/fix will be.

There are known issues with Intel's HDA in 1.0.11rc2 which is what the
FC5 kernel is equipped with.

    http://alsa-project.org/changes/v1-0-11rc3--v1-0-11rc4.txt

Either wait for a kernel update or use the alsa-driver packages from
ATrpms:

    http://atrpms.net/name/alsa-driver/

I wasn't going to package 1.0.11 before it went gold, but I had about
2-3 reports per day on this from the pvr community and now there is
silence ...

BTW should this be better asked on the fedora list? fedora-devel is
now about FC6 I guess.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net