Move Evolution to Extras?

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Wed Apr 12 17:22:08 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 05:52am, Erwin Rol wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 07:42 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 10:15:20AM -0300, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
[snip]
> > Evolution belongs in the bitbucket.
>
> And what are you suggesting as a replacement ? If Evolution ends up in
> the bitbucket, something else with the same functionality should replace
> it. So what other Gnome email+calendar+addressbook+task management
> application should i use instead of evolution ?

Well, if you put that many specific requirements into pot, then of course
you're going to be right.  If you drop just GNOME from "Gnome
email+calendar+addressbook+task management", then there are options.  If you
take out all the +s, then you can find individual GNOME apps that
collectively provide all those capabilities, albeit not in a tightly
integrated fashion.

So, here's a suggestion:  Take the best individual GNOME apps and glue them
together, ala` Kontact.  It would be quick (relatively speaking) to do and
would give people who will only consider GNOME apps choice (and therefore,
freedom) again; something they have not had in a while, as you so aptly
pointed out.

I would suggest that this could/should be done regardless of what happens to
Evo.

> And why is evolution unmaintained? I mean it seems to be important
> enough that expensive commercial Linux distributions like RHEL use it as
> a default email client.

I'm wondering the same thing.  I see some indications that there is still an
active (though the pulse is weak?) upstream.  What happened to those
Evolution authors/developers/maintainers?
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor