Move Evolution to Extras?

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 17:33:31 UTC 2006

2006/4/12, Edward S. Marshall <esm at logic.net>:
> On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 10:52 -0400, Robert Locke wrote:
> > What is an alternative that includes not only email and contacts, but
> > also calendaring and task lists for a Gnome oriented environment?
>
> I use Evolution to integrate my home and work email and calendaring in a
> nice seamless interface. Without an Exchange-compatible MUA, I might as
> well go back to using mutt, because the only way I'll be able to see my
> work email or calendar is through the webmail interface.
>
> You can do all the handwringing you want about "proprietary software",
> but this is a real-world integration need for me as a desktop user who
> actually works for a living, and I have an open-source solution that
> works for me today. What software would you suggest I switch to that
> continues to meet this need?
>
> --
> Edward S. Marshall <esm at logic.net>
> http://esm.logic.net/
> Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
>
> --

from what i have read i see the following pros and cons:

pro:
- evolution has user acceptance
- evolution integrates nicely with gnome
- evolution is a full featured groupware client
- evolution has a nice plugin interface
- evolution provides functionality that can not be compensated by another tool

con:
- evolution is unmaintained
- evolution has potentially problematic code

rewrite? redesign?

but the question is... if theres no existing maintainer for it.. where
does the workforce come from to integrate another client and get it
that far? whats the scheduled time for a replacement?
or rather... where are proper design docs for a well designed groupware client?

i come to the conclusion that theres currently no other way than
finding a maintainer for evo that starts kicking butt upstream.

regards,
rudolf kastl