Caring about users

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Wed Apr 12 17:44:47 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 07:36:33PM +0200, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 12:20:55PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > We like the ones that read the archives, present an opinion, debate it, and
> > realize at the end of the day some things aren't going to go they way they
> > want them and some are.  We especially like the ones that present patches to
> > fix things they find broken.
>
> And when they're told it's not broken, they just have to suck it?
>
> I'm not defending ESR here though.  Legal issues are pretty much
> impossible to fix technically.

Effectively, yes.  That is where the "end of the day" part comes in.

> > Fedora is a community project.  If the majority of the community isn't griping
> > about something, I doubt a few here and there will make a difference.
>
> The majority of the community does not care either way.  Which is true
> of pretty much any issue, the caring minority just changing.  If you
> feel like driving people out just because they're a minority is not a
> problem you won't have much of a majority left after a while.

I just said I doubt a few will make  a difference.  That doesn't mean they
can't.

> > If someone wants to sit there and bitch about things and expect someone else
> > to go fix them all the time, they can kindly move the fuck on.  Now, if they
> > want to actually contribute, that is the attitude we want.  And that is a great
> > attitude for the future of Fedora.
>
> I'd be happy to patch anaconda to have "everything" again.  I'm
> probably going to in practice.  I will submit the patch if you want,
> but I know it will be rejected, so what's the point?

The point is that you can open a bug for an RFE, and attach the patch there.
If it gets accepted, great!  If it's not something suitable to include in Core
itself, at least the patch is in the bug.  Other people looking for the same
thing can find it and use it.

Don't ever assume that sumbitting a patch isn't worth it.  If that was the case
nothing would ever get fixed.

josh