Why Notes is either love it or hate it (Re: Move Evolution to Extras?)

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Wed Apr 12 17:45:24 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 09:16am, Dimi Paun wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 11:04 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > You know, I've heard all the complaints mentioned in this thread....
> > I don't even *use* Evo, and I'd still prefer it to Notes. :)
>
> Hear, hear.
>
> Folks, if you get excited about Notes, you didn't use it.
> Or you're just trying to sabotage Fedora :)
>
> It's so bad it's not even funny. Lets not even think about
> it, please.

I've seen a few different organizations over the years that are using Notes.
In some, everyone loves it; in others, everyone hates it.

In my observations, it was clear that those who hated it just used it as a
calendar and email client; they never use Notes for what Notes is designed.
Those who love it, use the databases and so forth.  Their use of Notes
includes integrated use of most of it's capabilities.  In these cases, they
don't seem to feel overwhelmed either, as they use Notes the way it was
designed to operate.

No matter which side of this fence you find yourself on, it's clear to me that
Notes is a very different kind of application.  I think it has great value to
many people and organizations.

I would love to see a native Linux Notes client (Domino has run on Linux for
years) and it would be 10 times better if that was open source.

However, I don't think that Notes and Evolution quite fit into the same
category.  Therefore, I don't think Notes is a viable candidate in this
thread.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor