Where is my "everything" gone?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Apr 13 02:53:15 UTC 2006

Once upon a time, Olivier Galibert <galibert at pobox.com> said:
> The ability to throw them in a nfs install
> directory with whatever extra packages you locally need and some
> automatic configuration packages was very nice.

It will be easier to manage with the new yum-backed installer.  You'll
be able to pull in external repos at install time in the future, so
instead of having to add your packages to the base install image and
rebuild the tree, you'll be able to dump your packages in a directory,
createrepo, and install.

At that point, "Everything" doesn't really make sense.  Assuming Fedora
Extras is included in the installer, "Everything" would about double.

> When was it decided that computer farms, servers and remote
> administration was unimportant, and only the desktop user was
> interesting?  Is it official, or just de facto?

Well, most large installations don't like to have to do an OS upgrade
(with all the testing etc. that entails) every 6-9 months, so they don't
use Fedora.  However, for the couple of servers I use it on, it works
great (with kickstart installs).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>