Where am I? Do we need a Location Profiler?

David Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Thu Apr 13 18:11:42 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 07:01 -0400, Jon Nettleton wrote:

> 1)  catch Network state changes, obviously through the NetworkManager.
> Base different locations off of default route ip and hardware address,
> if wireless maybe essid?
> 2)  Needs a privileged and unprivileged interface.  Some apps like ntpd,
> iptables, cups, network filesystems, general services, all need to be
> setup by root.  Others, gweather, default printer, network servers
> (gnome-vfs), mail settings, screensaver timeout, are user specific.
> 3)  No reason to be a daemon running all the time.  We have
> NetworkManagerDispatcher already running, why not use that?  This also
> doesn't need to be super fast or small, allowing higher level languages
> to be used.

A similar app on the Windows side (for IBM systems anyway) would be IBM
Access Connections.  It's actually a pretty evil app, but it's
intentions are pretty good.  Based on your location profile, you can
specify your default printer, drive mappings, whether or not to enable
File & Print sharing, etc.

--
David Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com>