Where am I? Do we need a Location Profiler?

Cam camilo at mesias.co.uk
Fri Apr 14 12:18:58 UTC 2006

Paul

> Being able to switch yum{, repo} configurations comes to mind as a
> useful function along the same lines.  I have local mirrors available on
> some networks, not on others.  These can be handled with dispatcher.d
> scripts, but would a user helper be beneficial?

There must be lots of configurations that could be usefully set: I can
think of things like default printer, network proxy configuration,
outgoing mail server etc. For every app that uses these, there should be
a framework for the app to be notified of change. For example a weather
applet should notice if the http proxy changes after I suspend my
machine at home and resume it at work...

You might even want to run your security in a stricter mode when you are
eg. at a public hot-spot vs. at work or at home with trusted peers; or
have different screensaver / lock settings...

-Cam

--
camilo at mesias.co.uk                                                 <--