IT821x force pass through mode incantation?

G.Wolfe Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Sat Apr 15 02:52:08 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 12:37:01PM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 12:29:13PM -0400, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
> > Now, the device/driver is consistently dropping interrupts and having DMA
> > timeouts.  It is in sore need of some work.
>
> If it is missing all the IRQs then that sounds like a board level IRQ routing
> problem not a driver one. If it only misses some then it may be driver level.
> I'm working on a new it821x driver for libata but I'd appreciate a detailed
> report of the problem you have and maybe can chase down old driver bugs too.
>
> Alan

It obviously doesn't miss all the interrupts, since it manages to get information from
the drive.

The situation is that under heavy load the system apparently loses some interrupts
an freezes the system.  There are no remains to post mortem, as the system has to
be reset to recover.  I can reliably make the system lock up by adding BOINC(SETI at Home)
to the mix.

This is with the card in smart mode, but no RAID setup on the attached disks.
That is, two Hitachi DeskStar 400GB drives are attached, but they are not configured
as members of a RAID set.

When I add the it821x.noraid=1 to the kernel command line, then the system won't even boot
because all the interrupts get lost somewhere.  It is a little odd, since "hde" will eventually
work, but "hdf" (an identical drive) drops nearly every interrupt in pass through mode.

I may be able to arrange to capture the dmesg traces of the failed boots, but it will
be difficult.

G.Wolfe Woodbury