No yum GUI in core?

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 08:05:14 UTC 2006

On 4/15/06, Michael J Knox <michael at knox.net.nz> wrote:
> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > Is it just me or is there no GUI to make use of Yum available from the
> > CD installtion? If so, would the GUI be preferable for people not
> > comfortable with using the command line ?
>
> There is "yumex" but its in extras and does require to install it from a
> shell. However, once its installed, you're set.
>
> Michael

That's what I thought. Don't get me wrong, I prefer using the command
line myself. But doesn't having to install yumex via the console, in
order to not have to use the console (esp. in the case of newbies)
kinda take away from the whole point?

I say this because there seems to be a perception outside of Fedora
that we (Fedora) has no package management, far less a GUI for the
package management. And I see this on public tech forums. (from
supposed geeks)

Is there any particular reason why yumex does not come on the install
media? I think it is fair to say that people new to Fedora (or linux
for that matter) would appreciate that.

And on a side note, Fedora could do with some better PR.

Peace