yum bails on update dependency problems...

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Wed Apr 19 11:17:23 UTC 2006

Hi guys...

I think we've had this discussion during FC5 development but in the
light of recent update problems, I thought I'd bring it up again...

Shouldn't we make yum able to install all the good updates, if only one
package out of 60 is causing problems? I.e. skip the individual packages
that are causing problems and install everything else.

My reason for suggesting this is that we may miss important security
updates because of something like this. And say we have 10 serious
security updates, and one is failing, i'd much rather see the 9 others
get installed with my nightly update.

I seem to recall that some were concerned that if would be harder to
spot errors like these, if we let all the good stuf get through. Well,
then lets figure out a good way to get the errors visible too.

Whether this should be resolved within yum or through a plugin doesn't
bother me, but last i looked at it, the yum plugin infrastructure
wouldn't allow me to exclude packages an rerun dependency tests. Has
this changed?

Thanks

/Thomas