yum bails on update dependency problems...

Tom Brinkman tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 19 14:06:44 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 06:17, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> Hi guys...
>
> I think we've had this discussion during FC5 development but in the
> light of recent update problems, I thought I'd bring it up again...
>
> Shouldn't we make yum able to install all the good updates, if only
> one package out of 60 is causing problems? I.e. skip the individual
> packages that are causing problems and install everything else.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/yum
Tips and Tricks

"Yum halts if there is any dependency problem within the repository to
be safe and doesnt perform partial updates. Use this script if you
want that. Kindly ensure that you report any dependency issues to the
appropriate repository bug tracker or post to the relevant project
list if it requires more discussions."

#!/bin/sh
for i in `yum list updates |cut -f 1 -d " " |grep -A 500 -e Updated |\
grep -v -e Updated` ; do
       echo "Updating $i"
       yum -y update $i
done
   I put the script in /<user>/bin and made it executable, but I run
it as root. I've been using it for sometime to update rawhide daily
since 'yum update' has become a problem. Often needin to run it
several times to get all the updates.  I've just now
installed 'yum-fastestmirror', so I'll see tomorrow if that helps
with the mirror situation.

--
	Tom Brinkman		      Corpus Christi, Texas