Fedora Bounties (seeking ideas)

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 18:16:17 UTC 2006

2006/4/20, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl>:
> Rudolf Kastl wrote:
> > 2006/4/20, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl>:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> What I would like to see is a tool which automaticly generates
> >> /etc/sensors.conf based on motherboard information from dmidecode.
> >>
> >> The idea is to identify a motherboard with dmidecode output and then
> >> look it up in a database to find the correct config.
> >>
> >> So besides the tool doing the autoconfig, we also need a tool
> >> (webbased?) to build such a databse. This system would be best not be
> >> Fedora specific, I know upstream wants a web based database with known
> >> to work sensors.conf for different motherboards. Now if this webbbased
> >> system could generate a database file for use by a autoconfig tool that
> >> would be great.
> >>
> >> I've been thinking about a system like this for a while now but
> >> unfortunatly I don't have the time to implement. I'm however willing and
> >> able to coach someone doing the work during the summer.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Hans
> >
> > Do you have something like a "design document"? atleast as raw as
> > specifying what each component has to do?
> >

> In my head, yes on paper, no. But if there is serious interest in this
> I'm more then willing to produce such a document.

or maybe starting wiki pages for the "good" ideas would help to get
the general design discussed and get brainwork into "how to do it".
i think this should be a first step today especially if its about
collaborative development.
even if no one would be implementing it at this point... collecting
concepts and having a number of concepts for the ideas to pick from
and then decide what to do next makes alot sense to me.
If it doesent happen for fc6 it might maybe happen for fc7 unless more
important or plain better ideas come up then. just my point of view.