Installation Wizard in Yumex

Garry Harthill gazzerh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 13:24:29 UTC 2006

On 10/04/06, Tim Lauridsen <tla-ml at rasmil.dk> wrote:
>  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
>  On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 14:35 +0200, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
>

>  Hi.
>
> I just stumbled over easyUbuntu [1] and got a idea to add some kind of
> installation Wizard in yumex, to make it easy to add all the
> extra stuff need to get your fedora running.
>
>  * Nvidia drivers.
>  * ATI Drivers
>  * NTFS support.
>  * MP3 support.
>  * Movie player with codecs. (Mplayer, gstreamer etc).
>  * Java
>  * Flash
>
> I want to make some kind of XML format to creating the Wizard entries
> and the actions behind. The different people can make there own wizards
> and people can just drag and drop an URL to a wizard XML into yumex to
> add the wizard entries to the installation wizard. This could be a way
> to close the gap between a FOSS distribution and the non free or patent
> related stuff, there never can be included in Fedora.
> Let me now what you think, is it a totally lame idea or is it a way to go.
>
>  It's a nice idea, but...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_infringement#Active_inducement_of_infringement
>

>  I just want to code a easy way to install things, not try to break any
> patent, i will not include anything illegal into yumex, but people located i
> place where software patents don't exist, can make a wizard plugin to
> install the stuff hosted in places like livna or freshrpms.
>  I same way as yum and rpm can be used to installed patent releated stuff,
> but it is not the purpose of the application.
>
>  Tim

This is good idea. Give the option in yumex to install and run a
install wizard rpm/textfile located on dries for example (display a
list of popular repos). This will then display the wizard allowing the
installation of whatever packages are listed this rpm/texfile located
on dries. Neither redhat, fedora or yourself are in direct control of
the contents of this wizard file located on dries. Also give option to
install rpm wizard packages from other sources.

I don't see any infringement here? Please correct me if I am wrong,
Garry