Fedora core suggestions

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Apr 21 22:22:56 UTC 2006

David-Paul Niner wrote:

>> "If you want to foster discussion, please issue considered
>> argumentation, not unreasoned bulletpoints."
>
> Life Lesson #0: This is just the sort of response that causes people to
> assume defensive postures.

I don't mind if you feel the need to form a defensive posture on being
told you posted a load of handwaving junk.  Have at it.

> Your assumption that your personal experiences in regards to rpm-based
> upgrades are reflective of the collective experiences of all users is
> incorrect.  Overall, the process may be "excellent," but there is
> clearly room for some improvement, or someone wouldn't have bothered
> posting about it to a mailing list, would they?

I have bad news: many posts on the Internet are made if there is a valid
point to them or not.  If, as the original poster, you feel that upgrade
installs are broken, please talk about that.  My experience is I have
done yum dist-upgrades, CD upgrades and CD reinstalls and the only way I
blew user data away was if I reformatted the filesystem.  If you have
anything to add that doesn't fit with that experience, please talk about it.

> In regards to the involvement of non-technical individuals earlier in
> the testing process, I believe I was quite clear in my original message
> that I did not know exactly how the project should go about implementing
> that.  Please, calm down and read my message again.

It seems I correctly apprehended the missing middle in your message the
first time, thanks.

> Also, you're awarding yourself an unrealistic amount of self-importance
> in a group discussion.
>
> ;-)

Good job you were standing by with a "life lesson".

Have a nice evening.

-Andy