[NEW IDEA] Automatic removal of dependencies

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Sat Apr 22 00:12:42 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 06:49:58PM -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > Basically they want to divide packages (of course installed by package
> > manager; those installed using source, the user has to track
> > themselves) into two groups: one is installed by the user (explicitly
> > 'yum install') and the other is those required to satisfy the
> > dependence.
>
> I don't get it. Why? What's the point of this?

The point, I imagine is something like:
"With gnucash finally moved to GTK2, all the actual programs I had installed
that used various GTK1 and GNOME1 libraries installed no longer use them.
These libraries, which aren't real applications but only for support
of end-user applications, take up extra space.  I'd like them to be
automatically removed."
or
"I told yum to install application X, and it had to install 10 other
packages for dependencies.  I now want to remove application X, and
it sure would be nice if those dependencies all got removed at the
same time automatically, since nothing else uses them.  After all,
it's easier for me to just remember end-user application X, which I actually
use directly, than to remember it and the list of support libraries
that got installed with it."

Whether it's worth the effort involved to save the disk space and
all, I don't know.

John Thacker