Xorg signal 11's spontaneously

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn d.jacobfeuerborn at conversis.de
Tue Apr 25 13:46:57 UTC 2006

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:

[snip]

> Adam Jackson wrote:
>> Install the debuginfo packages, ssh in from another machine, su,
>> attach gdb to X, 'handle SIGPIPE nostop', and 'cont'.  When the server
>> segfaults, 'bt f' should now give you useful backtrace info.
>
> I filed bug 6704 about this in the fdo bugzilla and there someone
> pointed me the appropriate wiki page for debugging the X server. Since I
> don't have a second machine nearby right now I'll try the single machine
> approach described in the wiki.
>
>> May also be related to a crasher recently fixed for x4a4 glyphs; I'll
>> backpatch that into rawhide and stable shortly.
>
> Is there a way to deliberately trigger that bug? I haven't found a way
> to trigger the crash I'm seeing but if the glyph bug would result in the
> same backtrace as above then we'd know if this is really the same problem.
> Right now I've set the NoTrapSignal option and enabled core dumping and
> now have to wait until X dies again.

Tracked down a testcase using the Xorg changelog but I get a different
backtrace when triggering that bug so this seems to be a different problem.
Unfortunately I also didn't get a core dump and I'm not sure why. I added
the line DAEMON_COREFILE_LIMIT="unlimited" to /etc/sysconfig/init and
changed the line in /etc/profile to "ulimit -S -c unlimited > /dev/null
2>&1" but after crashing X I now no longer get a backtrace in the Xorg.log
(due to the NoTrapSignal option?) but I also don't see a core dump in the
home directories. What else do I have to do to get a core dump I can feed
to gdb?

Regards,
   Dennis