Fedora core suggestions

Cam camilo at mesias.co.uk
Tue Apr 25 14:08:53 UTC 2006

Leszek

> b) if you have two Windows versions (i.e. 98 and XP), they can see the
> drives with different letters, so which one is more important?

I suppose it doesn't matter so much what other OSs do, as being able to
configure these partitions to reliably mount in a specific location.

I have seen something strange. On a notebook with SATA disk (/dev/sda),
I have a PCMCIA Compact Flash adapter. When I plug in a CF, I find a new
drive /dev/hda, but it never mounts automatically. The same CF plugged
into a USB CF reader *will* mount automatically. On a different machine
the main disk is /dev/hda and the CF over USB is /dev/sda. I'm concerned
that this is an accident waiting to happen. If the GUI doesn't start
auto-mounting these with an intuitive name then I'll continue to be at
risk of umounting or mkfs the wrong device...

-Cam

--
camilo at mesias.co.uk                                                 <--