ipw3945 packaging

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Apr 26 09:17:04 UTC 2006

Jon Escombe wrote :

> I've been looking at what would be involved in packaging the Intel 3945 wireless
> driver. The biggest obstacle appears to be the requirement for updated ieee80211
> files[1]. Are there any plans to merge these updates into the FC5 kernel? And,
> if so, any plans for a ipw3945 driver package from Fedora?
>
> Note I am talking about the open source driver only - the firmware and
> regulatory daemon would of course still be out of bounds for Fedora.
>
> Regards,
> Jon.
>
> [1] ATrpms is the only 3rd party repo with a full package at the moment, and
> they've done it by replacing the shipped ieee80211 kernel modules - something
> that the 'better behaved' 3rd party repositories won't do...

Apart from either convincing the Fedora kernel packagers to patch the
current ieee80211 module in the rawhide kernels (not likely, but could
happen if one of them owns the hardware for instance) or waiting for a
recent enough version to go into the upstream kernel sources, I think
you're pretty much stuck. I've packaged the firmware and daemon on
freshrpms.net too, but decided that "you're on your own" for the kernel
modules part for now... not sure which is worst between my approach and
Axel's, though :-)

The proper way to fix this issue is to get the ieee80211 modules updated
upstream anyway.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 5.89 (Rawhide) - Linux kernel 2.6.16-1.2147_FC6
Load : 0.22 0.20 0.19