[NEW IDEA] Automatic removal of dependencies

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Thu Apr 27 18:46:50 UTC 2006

All,

Here are a couple of suggestions of how add auto-no-longer-used-dependency
removal to yum.

1.  Enhance RPM to track a new flag from each package to indicate whether or
not it was installed auto-selected-for-dependency.  Then, "yum remove foo"
could automatically select to remove all packages that "foo" depends on that
are no longer depended on by any other installed packages.

2.  Take what we have with "yum deplist" and create a new command
("removedeps" ?) that automatically adds those packages that are no longer
depended on by anything else that is installed, to the list of packages to
remove.

3.  Same as 2, but integrate the ability into the existing "yum remove"
command.  When packages are found that qualify for
auto-inclusion-for-removal, list them and make the question take 3 possible
answers: y/a/N (yes, auto/all, no).  If you pick "a", then you get the whole
smash.  If you pick "y", you get the exact same behavior we have today and
you do not remove those auto-no-longer-used-dependency packages.  If you pick
"n" (the default if you hit enter), you get the same behavior we have today,
which is to bail out.

Comments?
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>