[NEW IDEA] Automatic removal of dependencies

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Apr 30 04:36:22 UTC 2006

Peter Jones <pjones <at> redhat.com> writes:
> So that basically means that you want to mark everything which is listed
> in comps but isn't in "base" or "core" as user-installed.  That's going
> to result in a view of "safe to remove" that doesn't reflect what users
> want or expect.

So maybe special-case "base" and "core"? Let's mark those packages "explicitly
installed" (or maybe "essential", but from my past experience with apt-rpm,
that doesn't work too well if you can have more than one version installed,
such as for kernels: you get a scary warning if you remove an old kernel, but
that could probably be fixed in apt (it should warn only if you remove all
versions of the essential package) and yum could get it right right away). But
a package which is not a base/core package nor has been checked explicitly is
by definition "automatically installed for dependencies".

        Kevin Kofler