EXTRAVERSION ignores "-" when making kernel from src.rpm

Jay Cliburn jacliburn at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 8 13:55:09 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth wrote:
> Jay Cliburn wrote:
>> Is there a way to get the "-" included as part of the EXTRAVERSION
>> field when making a Fedora kernel?  If I change EXTRAVERSION = -foo in
>> the master Makefile, I end up with an rpm named kernel-2.6.15foo.
>> I've tried escaping the dash, double-quoting the entire EXTRAVERSION
>> field, and manually setting KERNELVERSION = 2.6.15-foo, but nothing
>> seems to work.
>
> You would end up with a dash is the version number, which is not an
> allowed character. The last two dashes in a (default) RPM name separate
> the version and release from the package name.

But if I follow the directions in the release notes, I get an
incorrectly named rpm, to wit:

kernel-2.6.151.2054_FC5-2.x86_64.rpm

It should be 2.6.15-1.whatever, not 2.6.151.whatever

Here's the relevant section from the release notes.

Every kernel gets a name based on its version number. This is the value
the uname -r command displays. The kernel name is defined by the first
four lines of the kernel Makefile. The Makefile has been changed to
generate a kernel with a different name from that of the running kernel.
To be accepted by the running kernel, a module must be compiled for a
kernel with the correct name. To do this, you must edit the kernel Makefile.

For example, if the uname -r returns the string 2.6.15-1.1948_FC5 ,
change the EXTRAVERSION definition from this:

EXTRAVERSION = -prep

to this:

EXTRAVERSION = -1.1948_FC5

That is, substitute everything from the final dash onward.