Dependencies a little excessive?

Nicholas Miell nmiell at comcast.net
Fri Aug 11 05:03:35 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 00:23 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 03:58 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> > tor, 10 08 2006 kl. 14:56 -0400, skrev seth vidal:

> > > So everyone hates it? anyone in favor?
> >
> > If you give me a simple boolean in yum.conf to turn it off I would be in
> > favor. I'll admit I was stunned when I first noticed the feature and I
> > did call for a handy little lynching but now that I've gotten used to
> > yum wasting my bandwidth and diskspace I just sigh and let it. I have
> > yet to actually experience any gain from this, so either it just works
> > and I didn't know there was a problem previously or it doesn't do
> > anything for me.
> >

> a simple boolean?
>
> does:
> exclude=*i?86
>
> work for you?

No, that doesn't work for us.

The behavior we (well, I, anyway) want is as follows:

== Definitions ==

UnqualifiedPackageName:
    A package name or wildcard matching one of the following forms:
        %{name}
        %{name}-%{version}
        %{name}-%{version}-%{release}
        %{name}-%{epoch}:%{version}-%{release}

QualifiedPackageName:
    A package name or wildcard matching the following form:
        UnqualifiedPackageName.%{arch}

== Behavior ==

Note that in the following descriptions, I use "match" to mean "consider
as possible candidates for a match." Also note that this description
only applies to yum's behavior parsing package arguments on the command
line or yum shell prompt (and possibly other programmatic interfaces, as
appropriate).

yum behavior in the presence of an UnqualifiedPackageName:
    install: match only {x86_64,noarch} packages, unless no such package
        exists, then match i?86 packages
    update: match any package currently installed, regardless of arch
    upgrade: match any package currently installed, regardless of arch
    remove: match any package currently installed, regardless of arch
    list: match any package, regardless of arch
    info: match any package currently installed, regardless of arch,
        otherwise match any package
    deplist: match any package, regardless of arch

yum behavior in the presence of a QualifiedPackageName:
    install: match any package
    update: match any package currently installed
    upgrade: match any package currently installed
    remove: match any package currently installed
    list: match any package
    info: match any package currently installed,
        otherwise match any package
    deplist: match any package

In short, when I say "yum install flac", I expect only flac.x86_64 to be
installed. When I say "yum install openoffice.org-writer", I expect it
to work, which "exclude=*.i?86" won't give me.

Is that clear enough?

--
Nicholas Miell <nmiell at comcast.net>