some closure on the xorg updates issue

Joachim Frieben jfrieben at freesurf.fr
Fri Aug 11 12:18:48 UTC 2006

Old Red Hat Linux had the habit of not breaking binary compatibility between
minor releases, only between major ones. I think this was a reasonable
approach and thus, it's perfectly intelligible not to break this
compatibility at the mere update level for an official release. Look at
other distros like "Ubuntu". They would not even upgrade their kernel from
2.6.x to 2.6.x+1 for their current release. "Fedora Core" has proven to be
much more "dynamical" in this respect.
If you really, really want the bleeding edge, then it's often possible to
install the "rawhide" packages on the latest stable release or to rebuild
the desired packages on your system. Finally you can still upgrade to the
development tree or wait a couple of months for the next release. So, there
are many options ahead ...