some closure on the xorg updates issue

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Fri Aug 11 12:24:32 UTC 2006

> > Therefore, holding off on a non-security update in order to not break
> > users' systems, to me, is a reasonable decision to make in this situation,
> > especially when we are focusing our efforts entirely on Fedora Core 6 at
> > this point, which will include the most up to date Xorg software anyway.
>
> :-(
>
> IMHO, this sets a really bad precedent. Do we really want Fedora to become the
> next Debian Stable? Many users on the list have indicated they are running
> Fedora precisely because they want current software, not obsolete crap which
> happens to cooperate well with proprietary software, which as you say is not
> even supported. I must say I'm one of these people. For those who don't want
> version upgrades, there are plenty of other distros available (e.g. that U word
> everyone gets spammed with these days ;-) but there are others too).

I disagree.  Fedora isn't becoming the next Debian stable by any means.
It's back to a 6 month release cycle, which at the moment is well along
for FC6.  If users _really_ want the latest and greatest software, they
can install FC6t2.  For a released distribution such as FC5, there will
always be some trade-offs between stability and feature additions.

josh