some closure on the xorg updates issue

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 11 12:37:50 UTC 2006

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> The decision is probably set in stone now anyway, but just my 2 cents:
>
> Max Spevack <mspevack <at> redhat.com> writes:
>> 1) The xorg update is of benefit to Fedora users who do not depend on
>> proprietary drivers for their video cards.
>
> Indeed.
>
>> 2) As such, this update would be bad for users who do rely on proprietary
>> drivers, mainly because those proprietary drivers are not updated to
>> function properly with the new xorg code.  Users who upgrade will be in a
>> tough spot until their proprietary software vendors relese updates.
>
> ATI has already updated their driver, if NVidia won't do the same, that's
> really their problem.
>
>> 3) The Fedora Project does not support any sort of proprietary software.
>> "Once free, always free".
>
> Indeed.
>
>> In short, it's a major change with only modest benefit, and a better
>> solution is coming soon.
>
> And what IS that "better solution"?

A well defined updates policy with the release engineering team to grant
exceptions when required.

Draft at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UpdatesPolicy

> IMHO, this sets a really bad precedent. Do we really want Fedora to become the
> next Debian Stable? Many users on the list have indicated they are running
> Fedora precisely because they want current software, not obsolete crap which
> happens to cooperate well with proprietary software, which as you say is not
> even supported.

No need to trash talk other distributions. We have always withheld some
updates from the general releases. We just need to define the criteria
to withhold updates in a better way.

Rahul