Fedora Artwork

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 30 11:39:35 UTC 2006

Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Of course the process isn't clear. There isn't one!
>
> That being said, we should probably have one. Here's a strawman.
>
> 1) The default artwork must be locked at the feature freeze, modulo
>    bugfixes. Fixing an icon or two's orientation is a bugfix. Changing
>    the theme or icon set is not.
>
>    Rationale: At that point, people start making screenshots, install
>    guides, release notes, etc. In fact, I believe there are FC6 documents
>    already mostly frozen.

FC6 specific documents? We dont really have any besides the release
notes.  So IMO we are good enough to try and get a new theme in place
before test3 release.  There is a draft desktop guide being written
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/DesktopUserGuide but replacing
a few screenshots is no big deal. I can do that.

> 2) Any default artwork that uses the Fedora logo must be approved by
>    the board, until we come up with a better policy.
>
>    Rationale: Yay, trademarks!
>
> For artwork to be accepted for default, it must contain:
>
> - GDM theme
> - GNOME/KDE splash
> - GRUB splash
> - syslinux splash
> - anaconda artwork
> - firstboot artwork
> - RHGB splash
> - screensaver lock
> - (optional) GTK theme
> - (optional) icon theme
>
> You can certainly do less, but any default theme must cover
> all the cases.

The DNA theme is pretty much complete. We just need to approve and
import the changes and fill in the remaining bits before the general
release. Any objections?

I am not sure about the icon theme, maybe provide it as a alternative
icon set for now.

> As for proposals, you can have mockups beforehand, but any work must be
> done by the feature freeze. I suppose having volunteers to help turning
> GDM themems from mockup to reality would be good.
>
> We should define some sort of simple package for people to submit artwork
> for people to try and use. Not sure what to do here.
>
> As to who decides what is default, I suppose we have some time (because of
> 1) ) to define a policy.

Rahul